Built in 1933 at the peak of Mussolini’s regime, this memorial towering over Brindisi’s harbour survives as a monument to seamen lost during the two world wars. The monument mimics a giant rudder, beneath which a crypt in the shape of a ship’s hull bears the names of the 36,000 Italians lost at sea.
Address: Via Duca degli Abruzzi, Canale Pigonati, Brindisi
More Info: The monument is currently closed for maintenance work, but the crypt is open.
Opening hours: The crypt is open 7.50am-2.00pm Tue-Sun.