Provided by: Szymon Maksymiuk
Chrobry Embankment (Haken's Terrace)

Chrobry Embankment (Haken's Terrace)

The Chrobry Embankment, formerly Haken’s Terraces, one of the most beautiful places in Europe. From here you can watch the vast panorama of the Odra River and the harbour. The viewing terraces are 500 m long and are located 19 m above the Odra river bank. The earliest written history of the area dates back to the sixteenth century. In 1873, a demolition of the eighteenth-century fortifications of Szczecin began. Thanks to the great commitment of Hermann Haken, High Mayor of Szczecin, in the years 1902-1905 a viewing terrace was formed on the site of Fort Leopold. Wide staircases run on both sides from the terrace to the banks of the river, where two pavilions were erected as the entrance to the restaurant, created contemporarily in the remains of the fortifications. At the bottom, there is a fountain decorated with figures of John of Kolno and Wyszak and two tall columns stylized as lighthouses. In the years 1906 to 1912 in the northern part of the terrace an architectural complex was built for the then regency of Szczecin, where now the authorities of the West-Pomeranian province have their headquarters. In addition, in the southern part of the Embankment a building complex of the Maritime Academy is located (from the years 1902-1905 and 1918-1921) and, housed in the same building, Contemporary Theatre and the Maritime Branch of the National Museum. Moreover, a large park is situated near the Chrobry Embankment.
Read more
Pomeranian Dukes' Castle

Pomeranian Dukes' Castle

Anyone entering Szczecin by bridges over the Oder River can see the towering red-brick gothic Cathedral and an elegant, pale silhouette of a Renaissance castle with green towers, which used to be the seat of the dukes of the Griffins dynasty who ruled the Duchy of Pomerania. The Pomeranian Dukes’ Castle has five wings and two courtyards. Acting as a cultural institution it organizes an array of cultural events: concerts, theatre performances, exhibitions, conferences and meetings to popularize science, as well as to spread knowledge about the history of West Pomerania. The largest wing houses an Opera. In the wing that housed a mint in the olden days one can find today Cultural and Tourist Information Centre. There is a panoramic terrace on the rooftop of the northern wing from where splendid views can be appreciated. The wing’s basement houses a Vault with sarcophaguses of six princes. The Duke Boguslaw X hall, which used to be a princely chapel, is now a concert hall with a polychromatic ceiling decorated in Renaissance style. A 17th century astronomical clock is the Castle’s special tourist attraction. Also a room dedicated to Eilhard Lubinus and the Witches’ Cell are definitely worth a visit.
Read more
The City Tourist Route

The City Tourist Route

The City Tourist Route is a 7-km-long loop which connects 42 sites – the most interesting monuments and places worthseeing. The idea behind the route was to commemorate the 750th anniversary of granting town privileges to Szczecin. The route is marked by an easily found red dotted line painted on the pavement, and thus the common name of the trail is the “Red Route”. Numbers in circles act as supplementary signs corresponding to each site on the route. Near to each number an information board with a detailed description of the object is either suspended on the wall of the building or standing alone. A pocket guidebook published in various languages, including a map of the route, can be purchased at the tourist information centres, the local seat of Polish Tourist and Sightseeing Society and in bookstores. The route begins and ends in front of the Szczecin Central Railway Station. The following sites are on the City Tourist Route (the numbers correspond to the numbering along the route): 1. The Central Railway Station 2. Post Office No.2 3. Snail Gate Barracks 4. Fragment Of City Walls 5. Gothic Church of St. John the Evangelist 6. Long Bridge 7. Old Town Hall 8. Late-Gothic Loitz House 9. Pomeranian Dukes' Castle 10. Ducal Stable and Manege 11. Maiden Tower or Seven Coats Tower 12. Castle Route 13. Maritime Academy 14. National Museum 15. Voivode's Office 16. Adam Mickiewicz Monument 17. PAZIM Complex 18. The Royal Gate 19. St. Peter’s and St. Paul’s Church, Dialogue Centre "Upheavals", Szczecin Philharmonic, Voivodeship Headquarters of Police 20. Professors' Houses 21. St. Mary's Gymnasium 22. Birthplace of the Empress Catherine II of Russia 23. St. James Arch Cathedral 24. Flora Statue 25. Eagle Fountain 26. Palace under the Globe 27. Velthusen's Palace 28. Diets' Palace (Nationalmuseum) 29. Art Gallery of the National Museum and 13 Muses' Club 30. Commemorative Plaque 31. Former seat of the Pomeranian Landowners' Bank 32. Former seat of the Prussian Royal Post 33. St. John Baptist's Church 34. Children's Hospital 35. Gen. Władysław Anders Park 36. Church of the Holliest Heart of Jesus Christ 37. St. Adalbert's Garrison Church 38. Kornel Ujejski Monument 39. Harbour Gate 40. Red Town Hall (New Town Hall) 41. Fountain with the Anchor
Read more
St. James Arch Cathedral and the tower

St. James Arch Cathedral and the tower

After the 1147 crusade against the Polabian Slavs, Szczecin became a place of German colonisation. St Jacob’s Church, intended for German colonists, was consecrated in 1187. It was founded by Beringer, a Bramberg pilgrim, and given to the custody of the Benedictine brothers from the St Michael Monastery in Bramberg. The construction of the brick church continued for dozens of years, starting in the middle of the 13th Century from a three-aisle basilica with two spires and a basilica-like presbytery, surrounded with a by-pass and a circle of chapels. The altars were founded by the Szczecin guilds and companies. The presbytery reconstruction started in 1370. The basilica frame was changed into the hall frame with a circle of chapels between the interior buttresses. At the outset of the 15th Century Henry Brunsberg built additional chapels on the southern aisle, decorating them with impressive ornaments made of tiled moulders. In 1456 the southern spire collapsed during a hurricane, destroying the basilica corpus. During reconstruction, additional chapels were erected in the northern section, together with only one spire in the western part, as a result of which the corpus was changed from the basilica frame into a hall church frame. The reconstruction work was completed in 1503. In the last 25 years of the 17th Century, the interior section was reconstructed in the Baroque style. The St Jacob bell, constructed by Wawrzyniec Köckeritz, the Szczecin bell-founder, was placed in the church tower. The altar was created by sculptor Erhard Löffler, and the painting, entitled “Taken down the cross”, was made by Lengereich. The organ front was sculptured by the Amsterdam master Van der Linden. While assembling the organs with a large scale of sounds, advice was provided by master Buxtehude from Lübeck. The capacity of this instrument was wonderfully utilised by organist and composer Karl Loewe, residing in Szczecin in 1820-1866. The church was badly damaged during the 16 August 1944 shelling. Its reconstruction did not start until 1972 and has continued until today. The official consecration of the cathedral was performed on 31 May 1982 by Kazimierz Majdański, the Szczecin-Kamieniec Bishop. The status of Cathedral Basilica was given by Pope John Paul II on 23 May 1983, and the status of Metropolitan Basilica on 25 March 1992. Considering the ongoing additions to the rich furnishings of the church, we suggest that you buy a current version of the guidebook while visiting this astonishing place. The tower is an element of the St. James Metropolitan Basilica Cathedral. An observation deck is available for tourist all year long. The entrance to the terrace is only via a lift.
Read more
Baroque Royal Gate

Baroque Royal Gate

This stylish and cultural café offers a wide selection of drinks and lunches. It is situated right by The Royal Gate that was built between 1725 and 1727. Over the entrance you can see the crest with the Prussian eagle encircled by the chains of the black eagle and the royal crown. This is one of the two former gates to the city, which still exist today. There are (also online) numerous engravings, paintings and photographs showing the Royal Gate (Brama Królewska) in the past. Amazing monument, which together with the buildings in the area (philharmonic, Museum of Upheavals, Church of St. Peter and Paul, st. James' Cathedral ...) creates a unique atmosphere. Now in it you can drink chocolate from polish company Wedel.
Read more
Visiting the cathedral tower

Visiting the cathedral tower

The tower is an element of the St. James Metropolitan Basilica Cathedral. An observation deck is available for tourist all year long. The entrance to the terrace is only via a lift. Opening hours: Monday-Thursday 10.00-19.00 Friday-Sunday 10.00-20.00 Visiting the cathedral tower outside the opening hours (minimum 10 people) is possible by prior arrangement by phone or email with the head of the facility: Dorian Sierek tel. 501 858 223, email: kierownik@katedra.szczecin.pl Ticket prices: normal 10 PLN / 2.5 Euro concession 6 PLN / 1.5 Euro (children and young people studying up to 25 years of age on presentation of a valid school or student ID card) group 8 PLN / 2 Euro (for groups of over 20 people) Children under 7 - free admission. Minors should be under the care of an adult. Exemption from fees is available to carers of organized groups.
Read more
Sightseeing the building of the Westpomeranian Governor's Office

Sightseeing the building of the Westpomeranian Governor's Office

One of the attractions on the route of The City Tourist Route is the possibility of sightseeing the building of the Westpomeranian Governor's Office. The monumental building of the Westpomeranian Governor’s Office is one of the most recognized and representative buildings in Szczecin. The neo-renaissance building consists of five wings with two declosed courtyards. The building is surmounted by two towers. The architecture of the building, including its exterior design, survived almost unchanged until today. The building was seat of the Szczecin Regency, Maritime Authorities and the apartment for the President of Regency. After that, it became the first seat of local polish authorities. In the building three sightseeing routes are available. They make possible to see: curious details, the towers, viewing terrace, the hall with exhibition of architectural details and the basements of the building. For more information about possibility of sightseeing the building, including booking for groups call: +48 91 43 03 633
Read more
The Tourist Tram Line "0"

The Tourist Tram Line "0"

You can see Szczecin from the old tram, which ride through city every summer Sunday. While a tour you can see the most interesting places and monuments in Szczecin. The Tourist tram line "0" is operated by historical wagons type N and 4N. Tickets 3,5zł and 2,5zł available from the conductor on the tram. Children up to 4 years old free of charge. The tram rides take place every Sunday in July and August at 14:35 and 15:59 (start at the main railway station- Dworzec Główny tram stop). Places and monuments worth to see during riding: 1. Main Railway Station 2. Monument with the Anchor 3. Harbour Gate 4. Neo-Renaissance Post Office No. 2 5. Building of the National Museum and 13 Muse's Club 6. Diet's Palace 7. Royal Gate 8. Żeromski Park 9. Pazim Complex 10. Grunwaldzki Square 11. Piastów Avenue and Jagiellońska Street 12. Former Hospital Complex 13. Tram Depot at Piotra Skargi Street 14. Wojska Polskiego Avenue 15. West Pomeranian University of Technology (ZUT) 16. "Pomorzany"- Typical Urban Estates of the 70s and 80s of the 20th century 17. Bosman Brewery 18. Gasworks 19. Tram Depot at Kolumba Street
Read more
View on map