Once used for shipping in the late 1800s and early 1900s, the piers are now used for their views, as well as for recreational fishing. The Avila Beach Pier is the first of the three piers and was first constructed in 1908 by the county of San Luis Obispo. Over two thousand local residents gathered there April 30, 1908 when President Teddy Roosevelt's “Great White Fleet” anchored offshore. The Harford Pier was developed in 1873 and now is used for fishing, restaurants and commercial fishing. The last pier, the California Polytechnic State University Pier, is an educational/marine research facility.